The VIA International Scholarship
The 2nd Annual VIA International Scholarship
Sponsored by: Essex High School, Virtual Intercultural Avenues, and the Rotary Club of Essex
About the scholarship:
This scholarship is an opportunity for American, French, Belgian, and/or Spanish students to travel to their VIA Collaborative schools abroad. Scholarship recipients will deepen their international connections, expand their cultural knowledge, and enrich their linguistic skills.
Who is eligible?
Students from Essex High School in Essex, Vermont and English language students from France, Belgium, or Spain are eligible to apply.
How much is the scholarship worth?
This is a $500 scholarship. While the VIA scholarship will not fully cover all associated expenses, it is designed to significantly offset the expense of travel and study abroad.
When should the study/travel take place?
Winners will coordinate with their home and host institutions to find a compatible host family for the duration of their stay. The length of the stay will depend on the host families, student schedules, and time of year. The scholarship may also be applied to a school-organized trip. The scholarship will be for the 2016-17 school year, through July 15, 2017.
How many scholarships are available?
Up to 4 scholarships will be awarded.
How do you apply?
Interested students should send their applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2016.
- Cover Letter
In your letter, please include:
- Your full name and age
- A description of your academic and extracurricular interests
- Why you are interested in this scholarship and what you hope to gain from the experience
- How you have been involved with VIA so far
- Preliminary Travel Plan
You do not have to have made your plans already. This is just to give us an idea of your possible travel plans.
- When would you like to travel?
- Where would you go?
- Do you have a family in mind? Or would you like help finding a host family?
- How long would you stay at the VIA Collab school or in the other country?
- Preliminary Travel Plan
Please attach a photo to your application.
- List the names of two references (including at least one teacher) along with an email address and a phone number. (References may be contacted during the application process.)
Additional requirements upon return from travel/study:
- Scholarship recipients will write an article for the VIA Conversations blog and will produce a short video about their experiences abroad that will be featured on viavenues.org.
Contact information: If you would like additional information about the scholarships, please don’t hesitate to contact Jill Prado at: